Friday, August 29, 2008

Taking the Easy Route...?

Barring some kind of major change (such as winning the lottery) my current plan is to return to West Chester University of PA in fall 2009. So in some ways it will be like a circle finally closing. WCU is the school I attended just out of high school, when I was far too young and naive to be ready for college. It sound like the "re-admit" option I was told to choose by the Office of Admissions is going to be the "easiest" way to get accepted back into college.

I will go with the intention of studying 2 years there and then transferring to another university with a broader, more in depth course selection to finish my degree.
Not sure whether to enroll with the intention of getting an A.A. or just stopping after two years of the B.A. and trying to transfer those credits.

Obviously I have much to learn about how this process works.

Now the big question...When do I move back to PA? I think you have to be there 6 full months to claim residency (at least that's how FL's system works). But then again, the rest of my family has never left PA, so perhaps there is a way to claim that as a "domicile"?
And should I seek on-campus housing the first semester? I have to find out from my friend in India who went there in 1991 and again in 1999 how he handled that situation, and/or speak to someone to see if there is any special housing for adult students.

I need to clarify that I have not officially been accepted back at this time. I have downloaded the "Re-admit" application and reviewed it, and it does not appear that they are asking for anything beyond dates attended and whetehr or not any credits were earned.
I am debating sending along a cover letter which briefly explains my life experiences since leaving school and my reasons for wanting to return. Any suggestions regarding that?





1 comment:

Mary said...

I think that it can't hurt to submit a letter with your application. Unless you have something particularly negative on your previous record I think that you should have no problem with admission either way. When I applied a year ago I did need to take the university placement test for admissions purposes because I had no recent academic record. You may be required to do that. It consists of reading comprehension, grammar, writing, and algebra. Before taking it, I checked out a book from my local library which was designed to help people study for their GED. It was really helpful as a refresher, and I also borrowed a algebra tutorial book. And I aced the exam!